Saturday, May 23, 2009

3,000 Miles!

After Mike's 76.5 mile ride today he is now officially over the 3,000 mile mark (3,073.72 to be exact). And for those of you counting down...335.5 miles to go!

We left before sunrise this morning and made it to our destination in Buchanan, Virginia by 1:30. The terrain today was mainly rolling hills with very few steeps which made the ride enjoyable.


Our challenge today was, late last night Mike realized his new cell phone was not working so there was no way for Mike and I to communicate today. This meant I had to stick close and wait at critical turns.

We did end up separated at one point today so Mike had to do the old fashioned thing and call me using a payphone. I gave him my coordinates and 15 minutes later he rode up. His GPS and my GPS need to communicate better. After messing with his phone a bit more today, we managed to unstick the stuck button so we are back on track again. (So now I can wonder off track once again!)


However, his GPS sent him in a direction which allowed him to avoid "Danger Hill" which we've read so much about. I actually went down "Danger Hill" and don't quite get it, there were steeper grades in the Ozarks. Anyway, once we re-connected, all was good.


Last night at our hotel Mike talked to a guy who was taking six months to walk the Appalachian Trail from start to finish which runs from Georgia to Maine. We also ran into a few more cyclists today who started out a few days ago from our destination.


OK, so now about the cows. In our travels I have been trying to get the perfect, up close, wide angle shot of cows, but they haven't really wanted to play up close....Until Today! I got my shot, in fact I got several of them! (Sorry Honey, I couldn't pick just one cow of the day today!)





No comments:

Post a Comment