Friday, May 1, 2009

Stopped in our tracks by the weather!

No matter how many times I click my red slippers we can't seem to make it out of Kansas!

After a night of no sleep due to our hotel being 50 feet from a railroad crossing and freight trains coming through 2 and 3 times an hour, Mike set out this morning to do 95 miles. Unfortunately the day was cut short at 35 miles by high head winds and a crazy electrical storm. I pulled ahead today as normal and while waiting for Mike I notice flashes of lightening and heard loud cracks of thunder not so far behind me.

I turned the truck around to find Mike not far behind, still fighting the winds and listening to his XM Radio. He hadn't heard the thunder or realized the lightening close behind him. I said, get in the truck or die! (OK, maybe I didn't say that, but I thought it!) He turned and saw the lightening and then the sky opened up with a down pour. He threw the bike in the truck and we were off.

We found a diner in town about 10 miles away and sat and watched the storm hoping it would let up. It appeared we weren't going to get much further today. As the storm let up a little, I drove Mike back to where I picked him up then he rode into town. It's been raining on and off for most of the day and every forecast we watch it appears we are moving right along with the storm.

We are currently in South East Kansas.




I didn't even get a shot of Mike today, I guess I was too entranced by the amazing clouds and cows early on in the day! And too freaked out by the lightening and thunder later in the day!




As crazy as this all sounds, we are still having an awesome time! We've decided to keep moving on as much as possible in the time frame we've allotted for this adventure and if we should fall short, we'll just come back and finish up another time. We both agree it's definitely about the journey, not the destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment