Sunday, May 24, 2009

The last big climb!


Today's ride included the last big climb of the journey. Today Mike climbed the dreaded "Vesuvius" which is about 1,800 ft. elevation gain in under 3 miles.


Mike and I met at 10:30 a.m. just before the climb. After a snack he said, "meet me at the top!" I arrived at the top at 11:10 a.m. and it was steep and windy. I parked, opened my book (since it was raining) and expected to see mike in 45 minutes to an hour. I looked up at 11:35 and there he was! He said that he felt the steeps through the Ozarks were much worse!


The rest of the ride today was very pleasant, we saw several cyclists coming from the east and struggling with Vesuvius, it is their first climb of their journey and many were walking their bikes (just wait till they get to the Rockies).


Much of our ride was along the Blue Ridge Parkway which is very lush and green. We noticed many Harley riders along this route as Memorial Day is a big day to take the Harley's out. There were also many families and groups out picnicking (even in the rain) for the Holiday weekend.

We also went through Lexington, Virginia today. Their Main street was decorated and ready for tomorrow's Memorial Day festivities. Mike said he wished the parade was today so he could ride through and wave (yes, that is when I rolled my eyes in case you were wondering).


OK, so I not only have the cow of the day, I have the sheep of the day as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment